I often see young engineers who understand the information presented so far, but have great difficulty implementing the process. I was once the epitome of this engineer. The first time I was asked to analyze a structure, I couldn’t do it and turned to FEA. (That was the wrong decision)
The video below goes though, step by step, how to:
- Setup the loads and moments
- Determine where you should take sections
- Calculate bending, torsion and shear
- Combine stresses with Mohr’s Circle
- Compare the stresses to the yield strength
This video should take a lot of the mystery out of the calculation process. The process is fairly universal and is readily applied to many different situations.